12 December 2010

Our patient is trying my patience.

We have been very lucky so far with our children in that they have been very healthy, easygoing kids.  The only time Ryann has ever been to the doctor’s was for a well baby check-up and the same goes for Matthew[1].    

That all changed on Tuesday morning.  Ryann woke up with a fever[2] so I got a hold of my parents[3] to see if they[4] could watch the kids so that my girlfriend wouldn’t have to bring her two over and risk getting them sick.

Ryann acted fine all day, according to my dad, she was just a little tired and didn’t eat.  He even brought the kids back to his house so that he could watch him there.  I walked in the door to pick them up and my dad told me Ryann had just thrown up.  Her clothes were changed[5] and so I just grabbed her and she fell asleep in my arms.  I was in no hurry to leave since I didn’t want her to get sick in the car, so we relaxed for a little while and my dad casually mentions that he was a little nervous about her vomit, because it looked a little red.  He shows me a paper towel that he used to wipe her mouth that has blood on it.

Since my dad has seven kids, I figured he wasn’t worried, so I shouldn’t be.  I called my mom to let her know.  She was leaving work so I waited for her to get home so she could check out the sample.  She came home, took one look, and said that we needed to go to the hospital[6].  I called Matt and told him to meet us there. 

We got our things together, put the car seat in my mom’s car, and raced[7] to the hospital where Matt was waiting in the Emergency Room.  I carried Ryann in and handed her off and went to go check her in.  As we were standing at the desk, she began to vomit blood again.  Matt and I of course were the typical fruitcakes freaking out as someone calmly handed us a tub to catch the blood in[8] and then ushered us into a side room where we sat with a few other people until we were called back.

When we finally got in a room they gave us a run- down of what they might need to do.  She had to be hooked to an I.V., get a tube up her nose and down her throat, get a catheter, and also have a few Tylenol suppositories to bring her fever down.  All the makings of an alien probing.  The only thing they did not do was put her under and put a scope down her which they decided would not tell them much since she was so small.[9]

We were admitted and stayed the night.  Matt and I were stressed.  They finally decided that she must have broken a blood vessel while retching, which is what caused the blood to come out.  They couldn’t find blood anywhere else[10]  so they released us about 24 hours with a prescription and orders to follow up with her doctor this weekend. 

Ryann is almost back to herself, she has been ordering us around like she is still hooked up to an I.V., and besides a cough and runny nose[11] she is doing well.  Matt and I, not so much.  Until we can relax about it, she is back in bed with us again I guess until the nightmares fade[12] or she gets married. 


[1] Although I am a little more lax on getting Matthew to the doctor’s on time.
[2] About 103 degrees, but it was in the ear and never seems accurate, and I haven’t brought myself to learn how to take a temperature rectally yet. 
[3] Mom.
[4] My dad.
[5] Into one of her uncle Robbie’s t-shirts.
[6] The hospital as in Mott’s children’s hospital in Ann Arbor.
[7] 60 mph is racing on the expressway to my mom.
[8] I guess E.R. employees are used to these kinds of situations.
[9] THANK GOD.
[10] And believe me, it wasn’t for lack of trying.
[11] And nightmares most likely involving people in scrubs and white coats.
[12] About the 3rd time she woke up crying last night, Matt told her that whenever she gets scared she can just rub his back to make herself feel better. I woke up this morning and she was rubbing his back.  Well played Mr. Everly.

1 comment: