06 November 2010

Turning a mole hill into a mountain.

Today I have nothing on the agenda, so I decided today was the day that I would tackle our cuarto del terror (terror room, in Spanish) which is our bedroom/office/laundry room that resides above our garage.  I think I am safe in assuming that most people have a room like this in their house, or at least people that are friends with me do.  This room is full of laundry, books, shoes, and other things that don’t really have a “home” within our home. 

The problem with me cleaning is that I have severe ADD when it comes to organizing so I can spend hours on a project and in the end nothing looks any better.  Here is how I spent the first few hours this morning.

1.  Enter el cuarto del terror.  Have no idea where to start.  Decide to put a load of laundry in to knock down the pile and hopefully get a glimpse of the hamper buried beneath.  Start folding the pile of clean laundry that has been sitting in the basket for a day.[1]

2.  Start putting the laundry away.  Note that there isn’t much room in my closet.  Start pulling out things that are either out of season or that I shouldn’t be wearing.[2]  Put those to the side.

3.  Go back to the laundry that is now done, start putting the kids stuff away.  Notice that there is a lot of stuff in THEIR closet that no longer fits.  Get boxes and start pulling things out of their closet to give away. 

4.  Noticing now that I have a bunch of empty hangers, I start to go through the hangers and get rid of some of them.  Since I have a garbage bag now, I start walking through the upstairs throwing things away.

5.  While I am emptying the garbage can in the bathroom, I notice that it could use a good cleaning.  Put the garbage bag down and get out the cleaning supplies. 

6.  Start cleaning the bathroom and realize I can’t wash the rug from there because the washer is full.

7.  Load the stuff from the washer to the dryer, start folding the things in the dryer.

9.  Notice a lot of the things from the dryer is summer wear.  Fold that and put it to the side.  Figure if I want to put the summer stuff away, I should get out the winter stuff. 

10.  Pull the Rubbermaid full of winter stuff out of the attic.  Dump it out.  Put the summer stuff inside.  Put the winter stuff in a pile to be washed.

11.  Eat a cold piece of pizza while standing in front of the fridge.

12.  Decide that I should update my BLOG.

13.  Finish typing the BLOG, and realize that the room looks worse than when I started.

See why it is pointless for me to clean?



[1] Week.
[2] So long, maternity clothes. (Not you, maternity pants, I may need you for Thanksgiving, see #11)

No comments:

Post a Comment