28 July 2010

Getting a toddler and infant out the door A.S.A.P.

Disclaimer:  The below story is based on actual events.  Anything the reader may find offensive did not happen, it was just thrown in for comedic effect.
  
Since I have a lot of experience in getting the kids ready and out the door in record time (I did it for the first time today) I felt that it was necessary to share what I have learned with other moms.  I had to do some running around today and had to be out the door by 10 so I figured 3 hours would be plenty of time, and planned on waking up at 7.  Here is what I learned.

7:00-alarm goes off, promptly tell Ryann to turn it off. (She sleeps with me, of course, no chance of her sleeping in her toddler bed when brother gets to sleep in the co-sleeper)[1] I start to nurse Matthew.  Fall back asleep.

9:00-Ryann asks if she can go downstairs and watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  Apparently we both fell back asleep after she stole her brother's pacifier.  Matthew still sleeping. I curse at myself for not getting up with alarm.  Carry Ryann downstairs. Put her in front of an educational book [2] with a cup of juice and an apple[3].  

9:10-Run upstairs, get her clothes, come back down, change her diaper and clothes.  Douse her hair in spray conditioner so I can get a comb through it and then tie half back in a bow.

9:20-Brush my teeth, comb my hair, get as dressed as I can minus "nice"[4] shirt.  

9:30-Call Ryann upstairs.  Let her run around upstairs while I dress, change, and nurse brother.  Forbid her from pooping until we return home because I don't have time to pack a diaper bag for her.

9:55-out the door!  

Of course, I know this was perfect circumstances-and I didn't have an unexpected poop, vomit, or meltdown to deal with (neither from the kids nor myself) so I made it out in time.  I have learned my lesson though since I got so lucky this time, and next time I have somewhere I HAVE to be I will have them sleep in their clothes.


[1] next to me in bed, but the co-sleeper is on the other side of him!
[2]  television
[3] Apple-cinnamon Nutrigrain bar
[4] maternity shirt worn over nursing tank

No comments:

Post a Comment