21 August 2010

Karma

Yesterday was a great day. I had my 9 year-old cousin Agata for the day and I took her and my two to the Toledo Zoo. The nice thing about having her come around is that Agata is young enough to enjoy the zoo, but old enough to buddy up with Ryann and keep her out of trouble if I needed to tend to (nurse/change) Matthew.


We did our obligatory stop at the gift shop on the way out so Agata could do her best to spend every penny in her purse and at the counter they asked if I wanted to donate $1 to one of their animals. I said yes and we picked the polar bear (Agata's favorite). If I had my way I would have picked a less liked animal since chances are they really needed the money. (Sorry, Sloth Bear, you are hideous).






On the way home, Agata asked me why they asked for a dollar when I checked out and I explained that they were taking donations towards the animals and I always give when I can because if you do good things, good things happen to you. She COULDN'T just let it go at that. She asks "is that true?"


So here I am trying to navigate through Toledo and explain to her that I am not sure if it is true or not, because sometimes good things happen to bad people (i.e. Spencer Pratt making tons on "The Hills") and also sometimes bad things happen to good people (the last year has been pretty tough in our house, and we consider ourselves good people). After finally talking in circles I eventually shut up and she seemed pleased with the answer, or sick of hearing me talk. Either way, she didn't ask for any further explanation so I think I did okay.


Do you think what they say about karma is true? Does what goes around come around?

2 comments:

  1. I think that you are absolutely right, that good things happen to good people. There is always an expection unfortunately. My friend at work has had a bad year and she still is very up beat. I think the better statement is that you think you have it bad and then look at someone else's life. My life is pretty darn good compared to most.

    Julie Valente

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Julie-no matter how bad things get, someone DEFINITELY has it worse.

    ReplyDelete