31 August 2010

This really grinds me...


I am not a crunchy mom, although I do have some crunchy tendencies and one is really starting to grind on me.  Rather, it is starting to grind on Ryann’s teeth.

When I was pregnant with Ryann, Matt’s big thing was that NO KIDS were to be in OUR BED, and I agreed.  So now we have two kids in our bed[1].  Ryann sleeps between us and Matthew sleeps on the side of me where the co-sleeper is located.  Not in the co-sleeper though, because one of the perks of nursing him is that I don’t have to even fully wake up to feed him-and if he was in the co-sleeper I would have to pick him up to put him next to me.  Sounds like too much work at 3 a.m.

So we have a beautiful nursery and toddler room that are hardly[2] used and a king-sized bed that is filled to the brim.  We were all sleeping wonderfully[3] until three nights ago when we woke up to the sound of Ryann’s teeth grinding together.  Which, by the way, is the WORST SOUND IN THE WORLD. 

Matt and I tried to wake her up, but short of a bucket of water on her head, it is pretty impossible, and we don’t want her SO awake that she won’t go back to sleep.  Matt tried to pry her mouth open and place[4] her pacifier in her mouth, but her jaw is all locked up.  Even if we do get her awake enough to respond to us, she is back asleep and grinding again before I can fall back asleep.

Although I have tried explaining to her during the day the importance of not grinding her teeth together at night, she doesn’t seem to be grasping the concept.  According the internet, the problem will either resolve itself when she gets adult teeth, or she can get a bite plate when she is 6-I hope she is not still in bed with us by then.[5]


[1] Don’t judge me.
[2] never
[3] Despite Ryann always trying to “kick” us awake
[4] shove
[5] Although I have pointed out that we could easily fit a twin bed next to the king-sized bed for Matt ;)

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya - I have a 3-year old that grinds his teeth. I can't stand to sleep in the same room as him!
    He also chews his finger- AND TOE- nails... lovley habbits, both.
    Glad to hear we aren't supposed to be "concerned" with the grinding...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would rather have a nail biter than a booger eater- luckily Ryann hasn't started doing either, but it would save me the trouble of cutting her nails. I spend more time grooming my children than I do myself.

    ReplyDelete